Convention Adds More Clauses, Names Proposed Student Group

By J. WYATT Emmerich

Members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Constitutional Convention continued last night to plan the structure of the new student government they hope students will approve this spring and voted to name the proposed government the Harvard-Radcliffe Student Assembly.

The members of the convention passed a resolution to form a ratification committee to begin informing students about the constitution in preparation for ratification sometime in April.

Door To Door Delivery

"We hope to deliver the constitution to every single door, and we want to talk to every student," Carl F. Rosen, a delegate from Leverett House, said last night.

Michael A. Calabrese '79, chairman of the convention and a Crimson editor, said that in light of the endorsement by the student caucus of the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL), the convention would seek similar support from the chairmen of the various House committees in an effort to generate support for the convention's aims.

The convention voted to allow representatives to serve for two academic terms with elections for upperclassmen in the spring, while freshmen will serve for only one term, running for positions in the assembly in the fall and again at the start of the spring semester.

The convention delegates passed a resolution mandating that representatives from each House and the various Yard districts must hold a "town meeting" among their constituents at least twice each semester.

Another resolution stated that any undergraduate or undergraduate organization may initiate a binding college-wide referendum by submitting a petition to the assembly with the signatures of 10 per cent of the students.

The assembly will also be able to initiate a college-wide referendum--binding or non-binding--on any issue by a majority vote of the assembly.

Each House or freshman district delegation will select a captain responsible for establishing a liason with the students, reporting to House committees and disseminating information, another convention resolution passed last night stipulated.