Providence Ties, Buoys Icemen

Cornell Rematch At Watson Tonight

The playoff-striving, barely surviving Harvard hockey team got a bit of a break last night, as Colgate's surprise 3-3 tie with Providence kept the Crimson in an eighth place tie with the Friars in the ECAC Division One playoff home stretch.

Meanwhile, RPI began its final homestand with a stunning 3-1 upset over fifth-ranked Brown. The win gave the Engineers an 9-8-0 slate in Division One and put them in sole possession of seventh place--for the moment.

Boston University chalked up its 22nd win of the season against one loss last night, as the Terriers beat Northeastern 6-4 at the Boston Arena. The loss puts the Huskies' ECAC mark at 7-11-1 and all but eliminates them from post-season play.

Providence's tie with Colgate is pivotal, though. The Friars should have blown away the Red Raiders, for not only was the contest at Providence, but Colgate sports the worst record in the ECAC, a smouldering 3-18-1 mark. One can only speculate that the Friars may have problems in their last two games with Northeastern and Boston College. They must win them both to grab the eight spot.

Harvard now has five games left, starting with tonight's rematch against the Montreal Express from Cornell. Should Providence lose one of its last two games, the Crimson would need to take only three of its last five contests.

Realistically, the icemen could lose to Cornell and B.U., but sweep Yale and beat Dartmouth to pull it off. But judging from the squad's most recent endeavors, how realistic is that?

Cornell skates in tonight, loaded with Canadian talent and N.H.L.-type rough play. Lance Nethery, who had five points against Harvard in the 6-3 loss Tuesday night, may be the best forward in the nation. Peter Shier, who coach Dick Bertrand says has "the hardest shot in college hockey," is a blue-chip prospect as a pro defensemen. Goalie Steve Napier is certainly not the best netminder in the East, but he may be the luckiest.

Throw in standouts like Brock Treadway, Dave Ambrosia, Roy Kerling, Mark Weiss, and George Corneil, add a few face rubs and butt-ends in the corners, and you've got the Cornell hockey program in a nutshell. Make no mistake about it, the boys in red are good, and may very well surprise the haughty Terriers around mid-March.

As for the Crimson, the hope is for better play by the defense and an improvement on its paltry 4-4 home record this season. ECAC DIVISION ONE HOCKEY Team  Record  GL 1. Boston University  18-1-0  3 2. Cornell  13-4-1  4 3. Clarkson  14-6-0  3 4. Boston College  12-7-0  3 5. Brown  11-8-1  3 6. New Hampshire  12-9-0  3 7. RPI  9-8-0  4 8. HARVARD  9-9-0  5 9. Providence  9-9-2  2 10. Dartmouth  9-10-0  3