Medical Students and Faculty Will Meet in New Societies

By Alan Cooperman

Medical School officials are currently developing a pilot program for next year that would bring medical students and faculty together in small, informal discussion groups--"academic societies"--in order to promote personal relationships between students and faculty members.

The academic societies are designed to prepare students to be "thoughtful and humane physicians, in addition to being well informed and well trained," Dr. Daniel C. Tosteson, dean of the Medical School, said last week.

Although the academic societies will not be compulsory, they may take an active role in advising, recommending students for placement after graduation and evaluating the curriculum, Med School officials said last week.

Next year about 50 students, 8 per cent the Med School student body, will probably participate in the societies, and participation would be expected to rise annually if the program continues, the officials said.

Dean Tosteson proposed the academic societies to the Med School faculty at a meeting January 27. Dr. David G. Freiman, chairman of the Medical Curriculum Committee and Mallinckrodt Professor of Pathology, is now heading a committee planning the formation of the societies.

Tosteson, who became dean of the Med School in July, said one of his goals is to improve the structure of the community of the Med School and help produce students with "character."

"Learning doesn't take place only, or even primarily, in courses," Tosteson said. "I'm anxious to find some ways in which this very large student body and faculty can interact in a more continuing and intimate way," he added.

Several medical students said yesterday they are in favor of the academic societies, but fear they may eventually be made compulsory. A third-year student said the societies are "a sincere attempt to ease some of the isolation brought on by the workload, but I don't see them as a moral proposition."

Marshall Ruffin, a fourth-year student, said he hopes the academic societies will "provide the student with the direction the loose curriculum requirements don't give."