Trackmen Place Sixth at Heps As Cornell Paints Town Red

By Kevin Shaw

The Harvard trackmen made their odyssey to Ithaca Saturday to wage war against a ten-team field in the Heptagonal Games, but returned a battered and bruised corps after finishing a disappointing sixth in the contest.

Cornell emerged from the battle the decisive victor with 66 points, running away from Harvard (with 22 points), the rest of the Ivies, Army and Navy.

Injuries crippled the Crimson forces in the meet. Coach Bill McCurdy said, "The loss of John Murphy in the mile and in the two-mile relay, the absence of Paul Organ in the hurdles, and the inability to use Peter Nsiah in the dash each significantly took its toll on the overall team performance."

On a more positive note, several Crimson tracksters turned in strong individual performances. In the pole vault, Geoff Stiles had some trouble adjusting to the runway but still ran away with the event as he soared to a 15-ft. 8-in. leap.

Mike Young took the high jump event with a jump of 6 ft. 8 in., and That McNulty captured third place in the mile run with a time of 4:09.1.

Ed Ajootian took a fourth in the 35-lb. weight throw with a 61-ft. 5-1/4 in. toss, while John Chafee registered a fourth in the 880 in 1:56.3

McNulty came back from the mile to team up with Tim Sellers, Scott Dolson and Chafee to place second in the two-mile relay with a 7:47.4 effort.

Finally, the Crimson combination of Scott Ferguson, Dave Frim, Brian Finn and Guy McRoskey teamed up to finish fifth in the medley relay.

The track team hopes to come alive at the IC4As at Princeton's Jadwin gym next weekend. "We will still be minus some people, so we'll be going into the meet looking for some strong individual performances," McCurdy said yesterday.