Ackermann Opens Headquarters In Possible Gubernatorial Bid

By Earle Giovanniello

Barbara Ackermann, former mayor and city councilor of Cambridge, opened her campaign headquarters Tuesday in the Old Central Square Building at 678 Mass Ave in preparation for a possible challenge to Gov. Michael S.Dukakis.

Image Building

"My strategy is a snowball strategy," Ackermann said yesterday, adding that she will try to set up small organizations throughout the state in the next few months to build up support.

She said she will officially announce her candidacy by the end of March if a statewide effort reveals sufficient support.

"A lot of his practices have been fiscally short-sighted," Ackermann said about Dukakis. She added that Dukakis has cut essential human service programs, citing his cutbacks on health care appropriations.

"Good management means getting the state's own house in order, collecting taxes for instance," she said. "It doesn't mean cutting back necessary services."

Ackermann met Wednesday with the elderly residents of the Manning Apartments and received her first campaign donation--$49.90, which she proudly displayed in a styrofoam cup.

"I think the elderly will give me a lot of support," she said. "They're unhappy and afraid."

Lenny Gamache, Ackermann's press secretary, said the candidate had no speeches planned yet, but that she plans to visit local groups and city officials throughout the state.