Nelia Worsley: Ice Hockey Academics Christianity And Ideals

By Susan K. Mccune

Nelia Worsley is the energetic Winthrop House junior who holds that trust and cooperation comprise the basis for success. This idealism roots her activities which range from her five course a semester workload to ice hockey to the Christian fellowship.

She organized the women's ice hockey team and subsequently became captain, but she also rows for the Radcliffe Heavies, holds the positions of Secretary and Chairman of Loans and Grants for the Radcliffe Union of Students and zealously participates in the Christian Fellowship.

Worsley had been figure skating long before she thought of organizing ice hockey. "When I came here as a freshman, Meg Streeter and I promised each other that we would not leave Harvard without starting women's ice hockey," Worsley said. The idea was tabled last year until after exams when Worsley broached the subject with Nancy Kerrebrock. The outcome of this tete-a-tete was a trip to see Floyd Wilson at 60 Boylston.

With Wilson's help, they signed up Joe Bertagna to coach them, and as a result of Worsley's perseverance and the interest of freshmen Tania Huber and Lauren Norton, the women's ice hockey team became a reality.

At present, the team schedule has been extended to nine games and Worsley envisions a women's Beanpot Tournament, which she is trying to arrange. To accomplish this, Boston State would have to replace Northeastern since the Huskies have no women's team, but the other squads would be the traditional entries from BC, BU and Harvard. Next Thursday, the Crimson has a rematch against Providence and Worsley looks for a victory since the game will be at Watson Rink.

With her variety of interests, Worsley comes into contact with everyone from theoretical mathematicians to down-to-earth jocks. As a freshman, she became familiar with the advanced standing office and the Engineering Department. The next year, she switched her major to English and spent more time leading her crusade at 60 Boylston. The Christian Fellowship has been an ongoing interest for three years now.

In addition to her role as ombudsman for woman's ice hockey, Worsley has been trying to get together a Bible study meeting of athletes. "I see the fellowship as a relationship with a bunch of people, not an activity. Fellowship is the best word for it," she said. Worsley no longer serves as an executive in the organization but she plays guitar at every Friday night prayer-meeting.

Dissatisfied with an Outward Bound program she helped to run in high school, Worsley dreams of starting her own project to get underprivileged children into the country.

Worsley views her interests in religion and English as tools to improve communication with people. With her range of interests and friends, Nelia Worsley seems to be an idealistic success.