Nominations For Overseer Break Trend

By Michael T. Crehan

The Associated Harvard Alumni's (AHA) recent nominations for the upcoming election of five new members to the University's Board of Overseers marks a change in the type of persons nominated over the past several years.

This year's slate of ten candidates draws heavily from the business and financial communities and includes now women and one black. The 30-member board presently includes three blacks and eight women.

Lansing Lamont '52, chairman of the AHA nominating committee, said there is a need for more people on the Board with financial expertise because of growing economic difficulties that the Overseers must handle.

One Day...

Lamont said although "in ten years or less there will be a much larger pool of women and minority candidates to pick from," it is now difficult to find such candidates with strong financial backgrounds.

Dr. Chase N. Peterson '52, vice president for alumni affairs and development, said yesterday that the AHA nominated a finance-oriented slate in response to pressure from both the Board of Overseers and alumni who feel that business experts are under-represented on the current Board.

Peterson said the nominating commitee hopes to "rebalance" the Board. He added that the alumni's reaction has been positive and that neither his office nor the AHA have received any complaints from alumni about the nominees.