Matmen Elect Mulvihill, Beling Co-Captains for Next Season

Juniors Bill Mulvihill and Craig Beling were elected wrestling co-captains at the matmen's annual banquet last night at the Varsity Club.

Beling, who took sixth place in the heavyweight division at the Eastern Championships last weekend, finished the season with a strong 12-4-2 individual record. Mulvihill, who spent the season battling illness and injuries as well as other wrestlers, still racked up seven victories against four defeats.

The grapplers had a tough campaign this year, finishing at 9-9, and losing several close matches. Mulvihill and Beling both expressed optimism about next year's season.

Gung-Ho

"We want to change the wrestlers' attitudes," Mulvihill said. "In tournaments like the Easterns, against all those powers like Lehigh and Syracuse, kids get psyched out by big names. We want gung-ho people," he added.

"I can't wrestle unless I'm very up and mad--you depend on the team for support," Beling said, adding "Things will be different next year."

Coach Johnny Lee expressed hopes for a more balanced team next year with the addition of some strong freshmen.

"It was a disappointing season, but there were some close meets," Lee said. "We hope to do a little better next year, but you can't tell about injuries," he added.

This year's senior co-captain Jim Corcoran agreed with Lee, but added, "It's hard work, but you enjoy the people so much you come out ahead no matter what your record is."

Sal D'Agostino won the team trophy for Most Valuable Wrestler, while co-captain Tom Bixby was honored as Most Improved Wrestler. Rick Kief, who wrestled at 126 Ibs., won the unofficial title for most weight gained after the season.

Recommended Articles

UNH Prevails Over Grapplers, 21-20
The injury-plagued Harvard wrestlers dropped a 21-20 squeaker to the University of New Hampshire last night despite sterling efforts by
Wrestlers Supress Big Green With Five Pins, Open Ivy Season With Convincing 47-6 Rout
The varsity wrestling team roared into Hanover Saturday night for its Ivy League opener and tied a hapless Dartmouth team
The Best and the Worst: Matmen Lose, Then Win
English novelist Charles Dickens must have had last Saturday's performance of the Harvard varsity wrestling team in mind when he
University Employees Union Pushes For 15-Cent Maid, Janitor Pay Hikes
Fifteen-cent per hour pay increases for all University-employed maids and janitors will result if the University Employees Representative Association succeeds
Mulvihill Now Salaried Head Of Employees
Daniel G. Mulvihill, 66, president of the Harvard University Employees Representative Association, will resign his post as watchman and proctor
AF of L Threatens Life Of Local College Union
Because University workers are "disgusted with the high-handed manner" of their independent union, the American Federation of Labor will try