P.C. Kills B.U. in Upset; B.C. Wins Other Semifinal; P.C. to Meet B.C. Today

In last night's ECAC semi-final shocker at Boston Garden, seventh-seeded Providence College whipped number one nationally-ranked powerhouse Boston University, 5-1. Boston College edged Brown 6-4 in the other semi-final contest.

Both the Friars and Eagles will now move on to the NCAA tournament at Providence. Harvard was responsible for two Providence losses earlier this year.

In a surprising first period action, Randy Wilson put the Friars in front with his seventh goal of the season at 15:51 with assists coming from Art Johnson and Tom Bauer.

In a second period power play goal, Tom Bowers deflected a Tommy Byers slapshot past B.U. goalie Brian Durocher to reinforce the Friar lead at 2-0.

B.U.'s Paul Miller temporarily saved face for the Terriers with his tally in the second period at 14:44.

The Friars dominated third period play with freshman Steve O'Neil scoring 57 seconds into the stanza. Paul Stacey then put P.C. decisively on top, 4-1, at 12:33.

In last night's other contest, the injury-ridden Eagles outskated the Bruins of Brown. In a hard-hitting game dominated by powerplays, Joe Mullen scored the crucial goal for B.C. and put them on top 3-2 where they would stay for the remainder of the game.

Other Eagle scores came from Bobby Hare who upped the B.C. lead to two and from sophomore defenseman Andy Tomasso. Jim Mullen sealed B.C.'s victory with his thirtieth goal of the season in the third period.

In tonight's ECAC final B.C. and Providence will both try and take up where they left off yesterday.