Model UN Group Draws 500 Students From 40 Schools

About 500 college students from over 40 schools will come to Boston Thursday for a model United Nations program sponsored by the International Relations Council.

The students, including about 60 from Harvard, will participate in four days of preliminary planning and provides staff members for the conference.

The International Relations Council, a Harvard student organization, does the prliminary planning and provides staff members for the conference.

Participants are assigned countries to represent, and divide up into six committees which focus on a specific area of interest, such as apartheid or politics and security.

Within the committees, resolutions submitted by delegates will be debated and voted on. Saturday and Sunday the entire delegation will meet to vote on the resolutions passed in the committees.

Delegates have been told to vote the way they believe their country would vote in actual United Nations sessions, based on their research.

Commenting on what usually happens at the conferences, Wayne C. Forester '80, an organizer of the conference, said, "Not much is passed. It's a good simulation-- just like the real U.N."