Wristwrestling Draws Crowd

Russo Repeats as Superheavy Champ

Frank Russo is ready for Snoopy and the Petaluma Wristwrestling Championships.

The Eliot House senior defeated Newton police officer Dan Donovan to win the superheavyweight crown for the second straight year in the finals of the Harvard wristwrestling tournament last night.

"It's all in getting psyched and beating the other guy to the punch," Russo said last night. "I came down here 45 minutes early and just watched the matches--then I was ready to go. I just made sure no one got the jump on me," the champ added.

The 6-ft., 6-in. Donovan, who rubs wintergreen on his elbow to warm it up before he wrestles, was one of the few non-Harvard competitors.

About 120 spectators and participants jammed the Kirkland House Junior Common Room, drinking beer and cheering for their friends.

Tom DiBenedetto, one of the tournament's organizers, said he was delighted with the turnout and thanked everyone who watched, participated or officiated in the competition. Proceeds will go to the Andrew Puopolo Memorial Fund.

Carolyn Bell, winner of the women's under 115-lbs, division, attributed her success to strength developed playing tennis. Sarah Fisk, who repeated as the women's heavyweight champion, says her strength comes from milking cows.

Freshman Dave Bindleglass lost to second-year winner John Tuke in the finals of the middleweight class. "I've never wrestled before--just fooling around. These guys are good," he said.

Nina Lahoud took the 115- to 125-lb. class, and Rian Smith won at 125- to 135-lbs. by default. Other winners were: Steve Hollman, middle heavyweight; Chris Ecker, light heavyweight; Robin Russin, light middle; and Lawton Cooper, welterweight.