Freshmen Seek Postponement Of Core Vote

A group of about ten freshmen began circulating a petition in the Union and the Houses last night calling for postponement of the Faculty's vote on the proposed Core Curriculum in order to inform students of the details of the core curriculum and to solicit student opinion.

The group, called the Ad Hoc Committee on the Core Curriculum, objects to "the shroud of secrecy" surrounding the core proposals, and the exclusion of student viewpoints from the core debate, members said yesterday.

No Objection

The committee has no objection to any specific provisions in the core proposal, but believes the core is being rushed to a vote without giving students a chance to learn more about it, Judy Freed '81, a committee member, said yesterday.

Committee members said they hope to collect a large number of signatures by Friday, March 25, when they will submit the petition to Dean Rosovsky.

If the Faculty delays the vote on the core proposals, the committee tentatively plans to hold meetings where the authors of the proposals will discuss the core with students.

The committee has not yet decided what it will do if the petition fails, but "right now we're concentrating on getting people who care to do something about the core proposal," Freed said.