Two Exits... ...And an Entrance?

ROBERT L. TRIVERS '65 [above], associate professor of Biology, decided this week that the grass--and the tenure system--are greener on the West Coast. Trivers, whom President Bok last year rejected for a tenured position in a controversial reversal of the Biology Department's recommendation, accepted a post as a full professor of biology at the University of California. A specialist in evolutionary biology, Trivers has previously been linked with the theory of sociobiology formulated by Edward O. Wilson, Baird Professor of Science. He will leave for UCal at the end of the year.

DONALD C. MOULTON [right], who as vice president for community affairs has had the tough task of representing Harvard's views to the "real world" of Boston and Cambridge, left the ivory tower this week to join the surrounding community. Moulton ended his 15-year Harvard career, which began when he was deputy director of the Department of Buildings and Grounds, to join the Boston real estate firm of Merideth and Grew. President Bok praised Moulton's "heroic service for many years;" Moulton, who frequently took flak from opponents of Harvard's building expansion program, did not discuss his reasons for leaving.

For three years, the Krupp Foundation Chair in European Studies--endowed by the leading family in the German munitions industry--has remained unfilled. But this week there was an indication that KLAUS HILDEBRAND [left], a prominent expert on Nazi foreign policy, and professor of modern history at the University of Muenster in West Germany, may be moving into the job. Hildebrand confirmed that Dean Rosovsky offered him the chair during a meeting in Cambridge late last month. Although Hildebrand has since flown back to Germany and Dean Rosovsky has refused to comment on the matter, it seems likely that the professor's book--The Foreign Policy of the Third Reich, long a staple for Gov 40 jocks--will be selling well next year.