Afro-American Cultural Center Starts Project for Cambridge School Children

In what members call an effort to revive its involvement with the local community, the Harvard-Radcliffe Afro-American Cultural Center today will launch a program that calls for Harvard students to work with Cambridge public-school children.

The program, which is being conducted in conjunction with the Cambridge Community Center, places 13 undergraduate members of the cultural center in volunteer jobs as tutors, "big brothers" and "sisters," and day-care helpers, Stephanie Bell '79, chairman of the center's activities committee, said yesterday.

Raymond McGuire '79, chairman of the center, said yesterday the program is a pilot for further social involvement outside the University.

He said the center has been "dormant" in such activities for several years, but that it plans to go "full force" in expanding this initial program.

Recently, the activities committee has focused on events within the University, such as a weekend trip to Yale and a career symposium on law.

However, Bell said the committee is "starting from scratch" in planning work with the Cambridge Community Center.

The 13 undergraduate volunteers met yesterday with Michelle Brewer '80, the project's main organizer, to receive the names of the children they will work with.

Each volunteer plans to spend at least one hour weekly with the children.