Princeton Wins Mat Title; Beling Misses Nationals

By Bill Ginsberg, Special to The Crimson

PHILADELPHIA--Princeton's Steve Grubman raised his season record to 26-0 by capturing the 142-lb. title here Saturday as the Tigers clinched the team championship at this weekend's EIWA wrestling tournament.

Princeton became the first Ivy League school in 20 years to win the team trophy, by outdistancing a 16-team field that included nationally-ranked squads from Syracuse and Lehigh.

Perfection

Led by Grubman and heavyweight John Sefter, who also ran his record to a perfect 26-0 as he swept the unlimited division, the Tigers ended Lehigh's three-year reign as Eastern champions. Sefter pinned all four of his opponents and carried off the trophy cup for the least mat time during the tournament.

Craig Beling, the only Harvard grappler to reach the semi-finals, placed sixth in the heavyweight class after losing in both the semis and the wrestlebacks.

Navy's Nick Mygas, who defeated Beling to earn the other spot in the Eastern finals--where he was pinned by Sefter--earned a trip to the NCAA finals for his second-place showing.

Mygas scored the first two points of his bout with Beling before the Crimson star escaped and took down the Midshipman for a 3-2 lead going into the second period.

Another escape provided Beling with a fourth point. The final period began with the Harvard heavy on top, trying to hold on to his slim lead. Mygas escaped and then picked up a penalty point to tie the score when Beling was called for stalling.

Beling shot in on the Midshipman's leg several times, but Mygas gained a takedown to put Beling in desperate straits. Eventually Mygas turned Beling's back to the mat for near-fall points, and wound up with an 11-4 decision.

Loneliness

Senior Sal D'Agostino, at 190 lbs., lost to Mike Ponzo of Syracuse early Saturday in the wrestlebacks, leaving Beling as the only Crimson grappler remaining in the tournament.

Two further losses erased Beling's chances of qualifying for the NCAA finals, but could not diminish the honor of placing in the competitive tournament.

Harvard placed 14th, outpointing only Colgate and Penn. Finishing second and third behind Princeton were Syracuse and Lehigh, respectively. Princeton qualified five individuals for the NCAA's while Syracuse and Lehigh each qualified four.