Racquetwomen Disappointed at WISAs

Four members of the women's squash team journeyed to Williams Saturday for the National Intercollegiate Squash Championships, and--although no Harvard player made it past the quarter-finals--came away with a good share of tournament experience.

Julia Moore, who began the tournament seeded fourth, defeated Princeton's number three player, Heidi McGuire in the first round. Moore then fell to Kirk Cameron of Davidson College in the next round, to finish ranked fifth in the nation.

Three other members of the team, which finished at 9-2 for the season, also made the trip to Williamstown. Sarah Mleczko, Jenny Stone and Becky Tung all lost close matches in the consolation rounds, and so never made it past Friday's competition.

The players were less than happy with the results. Mleczko said that although "it was a fun tournament, we didn't do as well as we expected to do." Becky Tung added that the Harvard contingent was "really disappointed." Both players, who are sophomores, expressed high hopes for next year.

Coach Paul Moses said yesterday he is happy with the players' showing. The weekend's individual elimination tournament was "a different type of competition than the team was used to," Moses said.

He added that he expects the team, having profited from the experience of this year's tournament will do better next year.