Faculty Begins to Vote Today On Core Plan and Amendments

The full Faculty will continue discussing the Core Curriculum in its meeting this afternoon, and will vote on as many of the five proposed amendments and the one substitute motion as time permits.

Several administrators said yesterday they do not expect the Faculty to have enough time in the meeting, which will run from 4 to 6 p.m., to take a final vote on the full Core legislation.

If they do not finish tomorrow, Faculty members will continue the voting process in the next Faculty meeting, on May 2.

The five amendments include two that the Faculty Council has endorsed, which would authorize the trial implementation of several options to increase the amount of choice a student would have in fulfilling the requirements.

The Faculty will also vote on a proposal to establish a separate set of distribution requirements incorporating more math and science for students seeking a Bachelor of Science degree. Another amendment would replace part of the History requirement with an area of study made up of courses on great works of Western thought.

The fifth amendment would allow students to choose between the Core and a set of departmental distribution requirements in Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities.

The proposed substitute motion calls on the Faculty to abandon the Core entirely and institute in its place a requirement that students choose a major and a minor field of concentration.

WHRB will broadcast the meeting beginning at 3:55 p.m. unless the Faculty votes at the start of the meeting to prohibit the broadcast.

Recommended Articles

Faculty Council to Circulate Core Review Paper
The Faculty Council yesterday decided to circulate to the full Faculty the Core Review Discussion Paper which it debated during
Revise the Core
One of the traditional rallying cries of The Crimson's editorial page is for Harvard to "reform" the Core Curriculum, a
Curricular Review, Large and Small
Under the leadership of Dean of the Faculty William C. Kirby, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) is in
Kirby Outlines Review Schedule
After three years of committee meetings and draft reports, the Harvard College Curricular Review is moving to a period of
Instant Improvement
As the Harvard College Curricular Review (HCCR) is finally brought before the Faculty in the coming semester, its focus will
More Cores, Please
As students wait for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences to slowly turn its wheels and approve new requirements for