Faculty Begins to Vote Today On Core Plan and Amendments

By Amy B. Mcintosh

The full Faculty will continue discussing the Core Curriculum in its meeting this afternoon, and will vote on as many of the five proposed amendments and the one substitute motion as time permits.

Several administrators said yesterday they do not expect the Faculty to have enough time in the meeting, which will run from 4 to 6 p.m., to take a final vote on the full Core legislation.

If they do not finish tomorrow, Faculty members will continue the voting process in the next Faculty meeting, on May 2.

The five amendments include two that the Faculty Council has endorsed, which would authorize the trial implementation of several options to increase the amount of choice a student would have in fulfilling the requirements.

The Faculty will also vote on a proposal to establish a separate set of distribution requirements incorporating more math and science for students seeking a Bachelor of Science degree. Another amendment would replace part of the History requirement with an area of study made up of courses on great works of Western thought.

The fifth amendment would allow students to choose between the Core and a set of departmental distribution requirements in Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities.

The proposed substitute motion calls on the Faculty to abandon the Core entirely and institute in its place a requirement that students choose a major and a minor field of concentration.

WHRB will broadcast the meeting beginning at 3:55 p.m. unless the Faculty votes at the start of the meeting to prohibit the broadcast.