Psychiatrist Szasz Contends Mental Illness Does not Exist

"Institutional psychiatry should be regarded as a threat to your freedom." Dr. Thomas S. Szasz, a professor of Psychiatry at the State University of New York, told an audience of roughly 200 people last night in a lecture sponsored by the Harvard Libertarian Association (HLA).

Claiming that mental illness does not exist. Szasz said doctors declare people to be mentally ill only on the basis of their own ethical and moral standards.

Szasz condemned the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) for refusing to protect the rights of "persons accused of mental illness." Szasz compared commitment to an institution with slavery, and recalled that the ACLU also supported the confinement of Japanese-Americans in internment camps during World War II.

Szasz voiced his opposition to government intrusion in medicine, saying, "Medicine is a government monopoly. The state can regulate the number of doctors who can practice in that state."

There should be a "free market in drugs and doctors," Szasz added.

Suicide does not show mental imbalance but "is the most elementary of human rights," Szasz said adding, "if you want to hurt yourself, you have that right. I am opposed to all government intrusion in this area."

Peter J. Ferrara '76, a spokesman for the HLA, said last night the association is a student group that believes all individuals have the right to govern their own lives in any way they choose.

Recommended Articles

Mentally Ill Deserve Non-Discriminatory Coverage
It appears that there are some kinds of hate speech that are acceptable at Harvard. William P. Moynihan '00 reports
Depression More Than Just A Feeling of Sadness
To the editors: I was impressed by the sympathetic coverage of the recent alleged crime of violence against a female
Please Learn About the Mentally Ill
I am a seriously mentally ill man. I wish to inform Harvard students of general information concerning mental illness. Today,
Divinity School May Give Courses Connecting Religion to Psychiatry
The Divinity School may offer courses which link religion and psychiatry next fall, Dean Horton said yesterday. The courses would
Mental Illness
To the Editors of The Crimson: I have just finished reading the delightful article in today's Crimson, titled "Psychiatrist Szasz
Gastro-Intestinal Cases Rocket to 50; Yardlings Chief Victims of Epidemic
Fifty students, 90 per cent of them Freshmen, presented cases of gastro-intestinal upsets to doctors at the Hygiene Building yesterday.