Collegiate Lesbian Conference Opens With Feminist Readings

By Susan C. Faludi

The Radcliffe Lesbians opened the first Ivy League and Seven Sisters Lesbian Conference in the Science Center last night with a poetry reading by Olga Broumas, 1977 winner of the Yale Younger Poets Award and author of "Beginning With O," a collection of poems on lesbianism.

Speaking to more than 50 women, Broumas discussed the self-consciousness and pain she had to face as a publicly-avowed lesbian.

Broumas also read from "Caritus," a series of lesbian love peoms, and recited her "fairy tale poems," old folk stories with a feminist twist.

" class problems exist in feminism," Broumas said at the conference. "Upper class colleges would like to hide the fact that lesbianism exists in their midst," she added, "but clearly this conference refutes that myth."

No Objection

Archie C. Epps III, can of students, said yesterday he does not object to the conference, but "hoped there wold be no solicitation of Harvard students." Epps added he met with representatives from the Radcliffe Lesbians last fall and had "stressed that these societies should be discussion groups only."

No Objection