Women's Lacrosse Team Trounces Wellesley, 14-2

Leads the Assault With Five Goals

By Keith Salkowski

The women's lacrosse team yesterday played one of those games that can best be described as 50 minutes of shooting practice, pummeling Wellesley, 14-2. The J.V. followed suit, downing their opponents, 11-3.

Only the frigid weather conditions and numerous saves by Wellesley goalie Lo Dunkle kept the score from getting completely out of hand, as the Harvard women dominated Wellesley on defense, in their passing attack, and in their ability to clear the ball.

Wistie Oppenlander's goal with less than 45 seconds gone in the game portended the course of the contest, but it was not until midway through the first half that the laxwomen really got rolling.

With the score knotted at 1-1, Sue Abkowitz rifled home a shot at 10:35 following a fast break and Harvard never looked back. Barely three minutes later Carrie Cunningham upped the margin to 3-1 with the first of her two goals.

Sarah Mleczko pumped in the next two Crimson tallies, and last year's leading scorer was well on her way to a five goal game, her most impressive showing this spring.

Wellesley's center notched the visitors' second and last score at 19:45 on a dandy twisting, under-handed shot, but Oppenlander answered it with her second tally of the game, and the first period ended with the Crimson enjoying a handsome 6-2 advantage.

'Struggled'

While there were times in the first half when Wellesley gave Harvard some real problems, any semblance of competition disappeared in the second period. The fact that the visitors failed to score in the final 25 minutes, even though Crimson goalie Sukie Magraw did not have any saves, attests to the impotence of Wellesley's attack.

Only once in the second half did the laxwomen go more than five minutes without scoring. Abkowitz notched her second goal of the game at 0:45, followed by freshmen Chris Sailer at 2:00 and Wendy Sonnabend at 3:15.

After a lull of eight-and-a-half minutes, Mleczko drove home her third and fourth goals of the day within a minute of each other. Sailer picked up her second of the game at 17:30, Cunningham notched number two at 19:20, and Mleczko put the finishing touches on her five goal assault two minutes later.

Freshman Sue St. Louis--back in intercollegiate action for Harvard after leading the women's soccer team in scoring last fall--paced the J.V.'s to their easy victory with a four-goal performance. Anna Thompson ran a close second to St. Louis, firing three goals--equal to the Wellesley team toal--in the cage to give the J.V.'s their second hat trick winner.

Captain Betsy McIntyre tallied twice for the second squad to place third on the scoring parade, while Alison Brown and Sarah Fischer each chipped in with one goal.

With their record now 3-2, the laxwomen take on Brown next Tuesday in what will most probably be one of their most stringent tests of the season.