One More Headache

POWER PLANT

Some headaches just won't go away.

Harvard faces yet another lawsuit in connection with its $110-million Medical Area power plant project--this one involving an alleged violation of a state environmental agency ruling.

The town of Brookline and the Brookline Citizens to Protect the Environment charged Harvard this week with going ahead with construction of a prohibited diesel electric generating portion of the plant. Harvard officials, however, strongly deny any violation of a January 31 injunction against construction, issued by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Quality Engineering (DEQE).

The DEQE disapproved the diesel portion of the plant, saying the diesels would emit a dangerous amount of nitrogen dioxide, but permitted Harvard to continue building the parts of the plant that produce steam and chilled water.

Although Harvard filed an appeal of that ruling in February, a coalition representing 5000 residents of the neighborhood surrounding the site of the plant charged Harvard this week with trying to delay the hearing on the appeal.

Recommended Articles

MATEP Clean Air Exemption Upheld
The Second Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals recently upheld the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) exemption of Harvard's Medical Area Total
Power Plant May Receive New Hearing
Harvard yesterday filed a petition seeking to overturn a state environmental agency's disapproval of the electric generators planned for the
Turn It On
O NCE UPON A TIME, Harvard had a brilliant idea. Forecasting increases in energy prices and decreases in supply, the
Anti-MATEP Groups Request EPA Not to Exempt Facility
Local opponents of Harvard's Medical Area Total Energy Plant (MATEP) filed a complaint this week with the Environmental Protection Agency
Court Hears Power Plant Arguments
After listening to an hour of arguments in Suffolk Superior Court yesterday from Harvard lawyers and from opponents of the
Power Plant's Cancer Risks Probed in New Hearings
The state's environmental agency will begin hearings today to decide whether a diesel power plant Harvard is building could cause