Tired Stickmen Edge Past Yale, 10-8

Crimson Still One in New England

By Elizabeth N. Friese

Ulp. The Harvard lacrosse players shook hands with their Yale counterparts Saturday, put the 10-8 win in their pockets, and scuttled home from New Haven somewhat sheepishly, just hoping to forget.

The Crimson, maintaining its top ranking in New England, was somewhat flat after a tough loss to national champion Cornell last Wednesday and a long bus ride to Yale.

Something Happens

"Something happens when Harvard plays Yale--and it seems to happen to them," coach Bob Scalise said last night. "We were forcing play and not working our regular offense--it was kind of emotional, uncontrolled one-on-one charges," he added.

Harvard's inability to settle down to work its patterns translated into a spread-out attack that saw Mike Faught, Hank Leopold and Steve Martin each notch two tallies for the Crimson, while Peter Predun, Gordie Nelson, Bill Forbush and Jim Ossyra chipped in with one apiece.

Jamie Egasti, inspired by that fresh New Haven air, battled furiously to come up with most of the face-offs for the Crimson, and Nelson, in perhaps his best effort of the year, turned in some superb ball handling.

Settle Down

The defenders had their problems in the first half, as Crimson players unnecessarily slid off their eagerness to help each other out. They settled down in the second half, and Mike Kennedy was especially tough on ground balls.

"The Yale shooting was sporadic," Crimson netminder Ken First complained. "I didn't see enough shots and I never really loosened up to get my rhythm going," the junior goalie added.

The officials, perhaps wearing Eli blue under their zebra stripes, did nothing to help the Harvard cause, as they called only one penalty against Yale in the entire game.

"That really unnerved our players," Scalise said, adding, "You get beat on, get hit, and the refs don't do anything--it throws you off your game."

Premier defender Haywood Miller reinjured his shoulder in Saturday's tilt, joining middie Bob Mellen as a question-mark starter in Wednesday's contest at the University of New Hampshire.

The loss of two key players, coupled with several minor ailments that reduce the effectiveness of other Crimson stalwarts, could spell trouble for Scalise's charges.

"We played a horrendous game, I'm glad it's over, and I just want to remember we won," First said.

Harvard's remaining games, all "must-win" affairs, are against lower-ranked opponents who could make their seasons with a win over the Crimson.