Batsmen Tame Tigers Twice

Crimson's Clifford, Baloff Notch Four-Hitters

By David A. Wilson

You expect a doubleheader to produce a little bit of everything and Saturday's Harvard-Princeton contests at windy Soldiers Field yielded just that. About the only thing missing was some hitting by the Tigers, as the Crimson nine swept the twinbill by scores of 11-1 and 2-1.

Tim Clifford and Steve Baloff both went the distance for Harvard, firing a pair of four-hitters, while Mike Stenhouse crashed home runs in each end of the doubleheader, the latter a game winner.

The Way Down

It was evident that Princeton had a long day ahead from the first inning of the opener. With one out, Bob Kelley jumped on a change-up by Tiger hurler Hoon Mo Chung, lining it to left field for a single.

Stenhouse followed by executing a perfect hit-and-run, punching a single through the vacated shortstop hole.

Mark Bingham then croqueted one through first-baseman Vic Kurylak's wicket, tallying Kelley.

Burke St. John scored what proved to be the game-winner in the second, leading off the inning with a double to right. After a walk to Rick Pearce, Chuck Marshall failed on two bunt attempts, but then blasted a single to center to score St. John.

The onslaught continued in the third as Mark Bingham doubled. Jim Peccerillo's foul pop-up got the dropsy treatment from three Tigers and he used the life to produce a single that moved Bingham to third. Paul Halas picked up the RBI with a sacrifice fly.

And on it went as the Crimson scored at least one run in every inning, shelling three Princeton pitchers.

Meanwhile, Clifford sailed along as he scattered singles in the second and third, but got into trouble in the fourth. After a walk, designated hitter Rod Shepard ripped a liner to leftfield.

Clifford got a break when Shepard's shot sneaked through a hole in the fence, making it a ground-rule double and preventing the run from scoring. Second baseman Halas then saved at least one run with a diving stab of a line drive for the rally-killing third out.

Clifford finally lost the shutout in the fifth when he allowed three walks after an error. "I had trouble finding my rhythm all day," he said. "I was all over the place sometimes. I was embarassed to get the win."

Baloff began the second game in rocky fashion, allowing three of the four hits in the first frame as the Tigers tallied their only run.

He settled down through the final six, recording five strikeouts and allowing only two walks.

The game was a classic pitcher's duel, as Tiger Andy Kannenburg proved equal to the task, holding the Crimson hitless until a single by Halas in the fifth broke up the no-no. Yet it wasn't until the sixth that the scoring drought was broken.

Lead-off man Charlie Santos-Buch walked, and then advanced to second on a sacrifice. Santa came around to score on Stenhouse's dramatic blast to right, which provided the margin of victory.

Harvard 11, Princeton 1

Harvard 2, Princeton 1