Faculty May Vote Today On Core

By Amy B. Mcintosh

The full Faculty will meet today, and will probably decide the fate of the proposed Core Curriculum.

The Faculty must vote on one remaining amendment to the Core legislation and must consider a substitute proposal before passing judgment on the complete Core package.

Freedom of Choice

The proposed amendment would allow students to choose between fulfilling the Core requirements or a set of distribution requirements in Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and the Humanities.

David G. Hughes '47, Mason Professor of Music, said last week his amendment allows a student "with exceptional background and ability to design for himself a program that in specific circumstances might be more appropriate than the Core."

Although the Faculty Council has not endorsed the amendment, Hughes said he thinks he has support among many Faculty members.

The substitute proposal asks the Faculty to abandon the Core completely and replace it with a system of major and minor fields of concentration.

William H. Bossert '59, McKay Professor of Applied Mathematics and the sponsor of the substitute proposal, said yesterday he does not believe his motion will pass.

"Everyone is going to vote for the Core because Henry [Dean Rosovsky] wants it," he said. "I almost feel guilty about taking the Faculty's time, but I feel I must. The Core has not yet been debated as to its substance."

If the Faculty defeats the substitute motion, it will go on to vote on the Core legislation as amended.

WHRB will broadcast the meeting live, starting at 3:50 p.m.