Sarah and Sue Show Is a Hit: Laxwomen Trounce Tufts, 11-1

By Keith Salkowski

Call it the Sarah and Sue Show.

Yesterday afternoon, down at cold, wind-blown Soldiers Field, Sarah (Five-Goal) Mleczko and Sue St. Louis, backed up by a supporting cast of eight, beat the Tufts women's lacrosse team, 11-1.

The fact that Mleczko scored another five goals should surprise no one--she has now done it in four of her last five games, giving her a total of 23 goals and five assists in seven games. Nor should it be surprising that Crimson goalie Sukie Magraw only needed to make five saves all day--the laxwomen have played aggressive team defense for most of the season.

But the performance of freshman Sue St. Louis is very surprising indeed. Before last December, St. Louis had never held a lacrosse stick in her hand, and the first game she ever saw was the same as the first one she played in--three weeks ago. Yesterday she had five goals (three coming in a three-minute stretch late in the first half) and an assist for a game-high six points.

Perhaps even more remarkable than her considerable athletic talents is St. Louis's attitude. She didn't know her numbers yesterday--she though she only had four goals--and she is oblivious to the fact that she has scored eight times in four varsity games. "I don't keep track of those things, it just confuses me," she explained. And when asked her reaction to the way she played, she praised teammate Mleczko instead and bemoaned the lack of teamwork by Harvard in the second half.

While the most visible fireworks were of an offensive nature, there were two outstanding defensive efforts. One was by the entire Harvard team, which allowed Tufts only eight shots on goal all afternoon. The other was by Tufts goalie Kitty Atkins, who had an incredible 19 saves, many coming on shots that would have been in the nets against most goaltenders.

And so the show goes on.