Lampoon May Face Disciplinary Action

By Susan D. Chira

Members of the Harvard Lampoon may face severe disciplinary action by the Administrative Board following an incident at the Lampoon's initiation dinner, sources in the Lampoon said yesterday.

During the dinner, traditionally accompanied by noise and loud serenading, members of Adams House, which is adjacent to the Lampoon, walked to the Lampoon and began throwing objects to protest the noise, Lampoon members said.

Members of the Lampoon threw food back in retaliation, until the police arrived the sources said.

Harvard police declined to comment on the incident yesterday.

Following complaints from some Adams House members. Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, wrote a letter to Mitchell L. Pross '79, president of the Lampoon.

Pross wrote back what he considered a humorous letter, and Epps replied informing Pross that he and every member of the Lampoon was liable for disciplinary probation, Lampoon members said.

Almost every member of the Lampoon was required to write a letter to the Ad Board defending themselves, sources said.

The Administrative Board met yesterday, but had not announced its decision as of late yesterday.

"We're not as upset about whatever the decision is as about the process," one Lampoon member who wished to remain anonymous said yesterday.

"The Ad Board is a group of senior tutors and deans and nonstudents who arbitrarily deal out punishments--it's a medieval system that dictates to the students," the student added.

Neither Epps nor Pross could not be reached for comment last night.

Lawrence Besserman, senior tutor of Adams House, refused to comment.