We Warrened You

It's reading period (you heard it here first), at least to judge by the worried looks of the students who
By Eric B. Fried

It's reading period (you heard it here first), at least to judge by the worried looks of the students who hurry by, books in hand and heads hung low. And even that rare species of bird that is known as the rock reviewer falls prey to the incipient fear of academic probation officers rousing one from a deep sleep in the dead of night to inform you of your coming year abroad, to begin at once. All of which is to say that I am not the inimitable Rich (go ahead and cast a furtive glance down to the byline--see, I told you), which is alright since he is not me. It's only fair that way. Rich is off in the bowels of Widener talking to lost World War One vets, and I was brought up from the Crimson's Triple-A farm team in Tuscaloosa to write the year's last rock column.

Gasp, you say. Yes, the last one, so all of you will have to sever your musical umbilical cords next week and find out for yourselves when the Big Names are playing the Big Clubs. But fear not, at least you can go out this week secure in the knowledge that you are in good hands, and exams do not start for another two weeks anyway.

Before he slipped into the stacks, Rich mumbled something about listings, so here goes. He also mumbled something I couldn't quite catch about another day in the life of a university newspaperman...

A friend of mine never ceases to be amazed when she hears Elvis Costello sing because "how could such good music come from such a wimpy-looking guy?" You too can go ponder that question at the Orpheum tonight at 7:30, because "The Other Elvis" will be there playing wimp rock, along with Mink de Ville and Nick Lowe. Tickets are $6.50 or $7.50, with a $2 discount if you can prove you are an Afghanistanian citizen. Seems this is "Be Kind to Central Asians week."

This column tried to pass itself off at the outset as a rock column; excuse it. It is really a rock plus jazz column but it is young and gets confused easily. It meant no harm. In any case, there "will" be jazz sounds emanating from the lips and fingers of qualified people around Boston this week, beginning tonight with Robert Silverman playing solo jazz piano at Emmanuel Church, 15 Newbury Street, at 8 p.m., and you can hear him for free if you drop two dollars in the tiller as you go in.

If tonight seems too long to wait for jazz, put this paper down right now and head for the Temple Walk at Suffolk University, where David Moss is scheduled to play at 1 p.m. Moss will do the Drum Song, and will use 100 different instruments in 90 minutes, and you get it all free. Moss moves from instrument to instrument so fast on the theory that a rolling Moss gathers no rock reviewers. (Sorry).

Okay, you got that 15-page paper due tomorrow and can't get out tonight. Fear not, because tomorrow night you can hear Warren "Werewolves of London" Zevon, 7 p.m. at the Berklee performance Center. $7.50 big ones, kids. Hell, it's not my money.

If you clam up at the mention of wolves, maybe Andy Pratt and Robin Lane are more your speed. They'll be giving a benefit for the Boston Clamshell Alliance, those folks who brought you the Seabrook occupation last year and are airing the rerun on June 24, at the Arlington Street Church, starting at 8 p.m. and for the mere price of $4.00 you can feel socially justified by helping the fight against nuclear destruction.

UMass Amherstis not only the site of some recent nifty anti-apartheid demonstrations, but will also host the Duke Ellington Music Festival beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday morning. The festival features the Duke Ellington Orchestra (alas, the Duke himself is bebopping from the Other Side now), Patti Labelle and McCoy Tyner, and all for only $7.00. The rites will occur in the Alumni Stadium so go to UMass and ask someone who looks responsible how to get to the stadium.

The Man Who Fell to Earth will land in the Boston Garden at 8 p.m. Saturday, and if you can stand David Bowie you might as well go and kick in you $7.50-$10.00 to hear him. Hopefully, he will fall from the stage.

Sunday would appear to be trombone day, as both Trombone Madness and A Trombone Explosion help usher out his jazzy weekend. Madness is at 6 p.m. at Emmanuel Church. Explosion is at Berklee Performance Center at 8:15.

Some stellar performers are blowing into Beantown in the near future, so keep your wallet peeled and prepare to flunk that fourth course you took " 'cause it looked interesting."

Next Thursday the Paul Winter Consort will grace the Berklee Performance Center, and then next Saturday the Pousett Dart Band will go for the bullseye at the Orpheum.

Jefferson Starship (I don't care what anyone says, they were better when they were just an airplane) will hit town the 19th and 20th, hovering in the Music Hall just long enough to give two concerts before blasting off again.

And Bruce Springsteen will be at the Music Hall on May 29 and 30, but some of you will have already finished finals and left for home. Stay around--would you rather hear Springsteen crooning or your mother nagging you? Unless your name is Oedipus, go with the first choice.

Don't study too hard, and take some easy.

Born to run on and on,