Cronin's Bar Changes Hands; New Owner Plans Renovation

By Stephen A. Labaton

It is, to coin a phrase, the end of an era. Cronin's Bar and Restaurant, considered by many students to be one of Cambridge's landmark watering holes, has sold last week to the owner of the Swiss Alps restaurant, Eric Imhof.

The acquisition of the bar on Mt. Auburn Street for an undisclosed sum of money, ends a business that serviced Cambridge barflies for over three decades. The bar, originally located on Dunster St., was founded in 1942. "Cronin had one of the oldest businesses in the square," Imhof said.

Sad But True

"Cronin's bar and restaurant will undergo a major physical change," Victor Imhof, brother of the new owner, said yesterday. Although the kitchen, lounge and dining hall will be renovated, the bar will not close during the work.

The three-month renovation met with less than welcome response from several customers yesterday.

Alice Farrell, a resident of Winchester who said she has been a steady customer at Cronin's for several years, added that she is not pleased with the renovation plans. "I like it the way it is," she said. "This place has atmosphere and character. Other places are too sterile."

The Dismal Science

Victor Imhof disagreed, saying, "Nobody wanted to come in because it was too dirty and dark. With six people for lunch, you can't make any money."

Bill Burke, a regular customer at Cronin's for six years, said yesterday he believes the changes could be helpful for business. "Students are going to come here anyway, because this is a nice, quiet place to sit and have a beer," Burke asserted. "Since they're cleaning the place up, they'll get as much business as before, if not more."

Frank Green, a cook for Cronin's since 1962, said the bar "has character as it is, but added that "changes will probably help it." Green said he plans to remain at the newly-named "Swiss Alps" as a cook.

James Cronin the founder and former owner of the restaurant, moved the saloon from its original location, now the site of Holyoke Center, in the early '60s.

The bar retained much of its original decor after the move to Mt. Auburn St., however, and remained a favorite of students and even a few faculty members.

Cronin, who retired recently to Florida, could not be reached for comment yesterday.