Missing the Point?

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Perhaps Andrew Multer enjoys wallowing in his mudhole of American inertia, but I do not. I see "the leading indicators of plasticity, stupidity, and rampant escapism," and I see that pessimism has become fashionable, but I do not reach "the inescapable conclusion" that "this country is dying."

I do not believe that the United States will drown in the waves of complacency of the '70s. My reason for this belief is founded on the tenet that an individual can make a difference. Depite the ignominious, alienating pressures of the expanding world. I believe that people can improve their society and that they can enhance their environment. What I submit is not a lofty doctrine of Utopian ideals; instead, it is a confidence, in self and in humanity, that defeats the forces of apathy, insolence, and disgust which have invaded our age.

Inaction is the worst action; therefore, it is to our own benefit that each of us actually put, or at least attempt to put, some worth, some value in our lives and in our world, and that each of us not just sit and shoot the day, "with the sun on the shoulders and cold drink in hand." Jon Spinello