PLAYERS TO WATCH

STEVE POTYSMAN, senior captain and defensive back. Ever see a guy who really knows what he's doing on a football field, really looks sharp on his feet? Steve Potysman's the guy. 5-10 and 165, "Poty" finished eighth in tackles last year(40), second in interceptions(3) and tops in fumble recoveries(3). He's quick, and tough on his feet--all 70 inches of him.

CRAIG BELING, senior linebacker. Beling stands out as a pillar of strength in Harvard's inexperienced defense. An All-League heavyweight wrestler in the off-season. Beling led the gridders in tackles last fall with 76. He's nicknamed "Subway," which should give you some idea about how he hits people--like a train.

MIKE CLARK, senior guard. The only thing you have to know about this 6-1, 220 linesman is that he can move people. People on the other team, that is. He can do it all--pull, trap, passblock. If the hopes of the defense center around Beling, then the hopes of the offense rest in large part with Clark.

LARRY BROWN, senior quarterback. A third team All-American baseball pitcher in the offseason, the right-handed signalcaller will look to improve on his impressive signalcalling performance of '78 (see profile, page 42). Look for Brownie to duplicate his record-breading aerial show of '77, and also look for his new all-white spikes.

RALPH POLILLIO, senior halfback. Only 5-9 but quick as a rabbit, Polillio can do it all--run back kicks, and run plays both inside and out--but he excels at pass-catching out of the backfield. Three serious head injuries the last two years have made it necessary for him to wear a new, specially padded helmet. Ralph's explosive, and can blow a game open.

PAUL CONNORS, sophomore halfback. A frosh star last year (5.3 yd. avg. for 507 yds.) and The Globe's "Schoolboy of the Year" two years back, this Hanover High grad may be just the thing Joe Restic needs to get his squad back on the winning track. At press time, his status as a starter was uncertain, but one thing is certain--this slashing-type runner will see lots of playing time this fall.

GARY BOSNIC, senior placekicker. After watching from the bench for much of his sophomore year, Bosnic came on last year to pop for three of five field goal attempts last season and 12-14 PATs. He'll have to kick with the finesse of the Rockettes and the brute strength of Vasily Alexeyev if he's to keep Harvard in some ballgames towards the early part of the schedule.

OTHER KEY PLAYERS: big senior offensive tackle Joe Kross, durable senior middle guard Tom McDevitt, senior tight end Paul Sablock, and Wayne Moore, a senior halfback with speed to burn.