HRO Plays Hooky, Jet-Sets to Berlin For Karajan's 70th

Approximately 90 members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra (HRO) left last night for a two-week trip to Berlin to participate in an international student orchestra competition sponsored by the Herbert von Karajan Foundation. Karajan was a former conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, and the competition is in honor of his 70th birthday.

HRO is one of two American orchestras chosen to represent the - U.S. in the annual competition. Other countries participating include the USSR, Japan and West Germany.

After they leave Berlin, the HRO members will give a concert at London's Royal College of Music for the Harvard Club before returning to Cambridge.

The orchestra members will return to Harvard on September 26, the deadline for the filing of fall semester study cards. They have been given one extra day to file their cards, but will not be able to attend their classes before choosing them.

The orchestra members were also allowed to register Tuesday because they will not be able to attend upperclass registration tomorrow.