U.S. Works on Plan for Further Talks

Middle East Summit Draws to Close

CAMP DAVID, MD--President Carter, cancelling an appearance at a White House party, intensified his efforts yesterday to complete a formula for more Mideast negotiations after the Camp David summit, now drawing to a close.

The formula, tentatively entitled "Framework of Negotiations," deals with the future of Palestinian Arabs now under Israeli military control and other fundamental issues in the Arab-Israeli dispute, according to diplomatic sources.

The sources, who asked to remain anonymous, said the language being drafted is designed to be broad enough to gain the approval of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin as well as to draw Jordan eventually into the U.S.-led peace process.

No Deadline Yet

Carter cancelled his appearance at the White House party, honoring stock car race drivers, to work on the compromise formula. Carter faces a weekend of speechmaking and politicking, but there is no sign that he is imposing a deadline to end his talks with the Mideast leaders.

Mrs. Carter flew by helicopter to Washington to take her husband's place at the party which featured entertainment by country singer Willie Nelson.

There has been no reported breakthrough on the Palestinian issue or on any other key issue in the Arab-Israeli conflict. Carter has not brought Begin and Sadat together at the negotiating table since last Thursday.

Begin has offered the Palestinians administrative self-rule. Sadat, rejecting the plan as inadequate, has insisted on Israeli military withdrawal.

Proposal Reported

In a copyrighted story, the Boston Herald American said yesterday the U.S. has proposed a compromise under which "neither side--Arab or Israeli--would press its claim to exclusive sovereignty" over the West Bank of the Jordan.

Israel, which would be forced to move its military forces out of population centers to clearly defined garrisons, appears ready to accept the proposal, the newspaper said.

Adamant

But it said Israel is adamant about keeping its forces on the West Bank throughout a proposed five-year transition leading to Palestinian self-rule.

There was no immediate comment by U.S., Israeli or Egyptian officials yesterday.

In an overall assessment of the eight-day old conference, Powell said, "We are obviously approaching the final stages. I can't imagine any more intensive period of discussions."