SASC Encourages Freshmen To Join Apartheid Protests

By David A. Demilo

About 200 freshmen attended an introductory meeting of the South African Solidarity Committee (SASC) last night at Sever Quad, where they were urged by SASC members to learn about and participate in the anti-apartheid movement at Harvard.

After some opening remarks emphasizing the "inadequacy of the Harvard Corporation's statement on their role in apartheid," the freshmen were shown "Last Grave at Dimbaza," a documentary film smuggled out of South Africa.

Most freshman interviewed said they attended the meeting out of curiosity. "There hasn't been much talk about it among freshman," Siddhartha Mazumdar '82, said, "but from what I've heard there has been a kind of futile feeling involved--you know, that was all last year, what can be done about it now?"

One freshman who wished to remain anonymous said some freshman proctors warned students that they could be arrested in a demonstration. "The general attitude was to stay away--it's radical, it could be an incriminating thing. I'm still kind of paranoid," she said.

Demonstrations against apartheid-linked corporations recruiting students at Harvard are being considered, members of the SASC said last night.