Carter Promises Workers New Assault on Inflation

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J.--President Carter told a steelworkers convention yesterday that he will soon announce "a strengthening of our limited arsenal of weapons against inflation."

Carter, however, did not detail the new measures, which would be added to the voluntary efforts he requested of the public last April.

"I can tell you today that what we will do will be fair," Carter told the steelworkers. "It will not penalize labor or any other group in our society," he added.

Asking Restraint

"At the same time," Carter warned, "it will be tough. I will ask for restraint and some sacrifice from all."

Carter gave no indication in his remarks whether or not he has dropped his strong opposition to mandatory federal wage and price controls.

Carter's remarks on inflation brought sparse applause from the convention of the United Steelworkers of American, AFL-CIO, but the President received a standing ovation when he pledged to make labor law revision his top legislative priority for next year.

Carter blamed defeat of labor law revision this year on "a massive, expensive, distorted propaganda effort. I personally helped draft every single paragraph of the labor law bill," Carter said, denying charges that it had been "a grab for power by the unions."

Carter also promised to renew his fight next year for hospital cost control measures, blaming the "medical lobby and the hospital industry lobby" for defeat of that plan this year.

Before returning to Washington, Carter attended a Democratic fund-raising luncheon where he predicted Congress will approve a $25 billion tax cut this year. He also attacked the Republican Kemp-Roth plan that would slash income taxes by one-third.