University Police Arrest Two Minors For Break-Ins Netting $15,000 in Goods

By Alexandra D. Korry

University police arrested two minors Tuesday in connection with a series of burglaries involving about $15,000 worth of goods stolen from the Soldiers Field Park apartment complex.

Both minors, one male and one female, were arraigned before the Brighton District Court Tuesday morning on charges of breaking and entering in the daytime, Saul L. Chafin, chief of police, said yesterday.

Police arrested the youths prior to obtaining a search warrant for the Soldiers Field Park apartment where the two juveniles live, Capt. Jack W. Morse, head of Operational Services for the police, said yesterday.

The warrant request came after police identified a sweater worn by one of the minors as stolen property from an apartment at the complex.

In searching the minors' apartment--leased in the name of their Harvard-affiliated father--Sgt. Edward V. Green, detective in the criminal investigation division of the police, and arresting officers Leonard F. Sciarappa, George Pierce and John E. Stanton recovered approximately $4000 worth of the stolen goods.

Goods found in the apartment included jewelry, radios, cassette tape players, clothing and a knife the police believe was used in the breaking and entering.

The police hope to obtain additional complaints for receiving--possession of stolen property--on Tuesday when they go before the Brighton District Court with the recovered goods, Chafin said.

The police said yesterday nine break-ins have plagued the residential complex over the last year and a half, with six of those occurring within the last month.

Lt. Murphy added that the "modus operandi" of all the break-ins matched those of the individuals arrested.

"We believe these individuals apprehended are responsible," Lt. Lawrence J. Murphy of the police said, adding that information gathered by the police thus far could implicate other individuals.

Sgt. Green said yesterday the arrests concluded a two-day stake-out staged after inquiries led them to believe a break-in would occur.

Police said the minors allegedly entered the apartments by cutting the screens over the windows and then popping the windows open. The apartments were vacant at the time of the break-ins, they added.

Police also said they expect to recover more of the stolen property in the near future. The $15,000 in stolen goods includes $10,000 in jewelry and approximately $5000 in miscellaneous items.

The value of the stolen goods is based on claims the burglarized parties filed with their insurance companies.

"I'm very pleased with the cooperation between the uniformed policemen and the plainclothesmen," Chafin said.