Philosophy, VES Concentrators Plan Undergraduate Advisory Organizations Students Want Link With Department

Art Union Proposed

By Janet S. Walker

Undergraduates in the Department of Visual and Environmental Studies (VES) met in Carpenter Center last night to discuss the formation of Harvard's first artist's union.

Katy Brocker '81, who chaired the meeting, said the organization would meet the artists' many needs not recognized by the department.

"The department has no place to go for information on grants or gallery spaces, no file explaining how to get studio space or publicity, and no gathering area where VES students can get together and exchange ideas," she said.

In addition to its role as an information center, many of the students see the union as a potential instrument to give them some leverage in interactions with the administration.

"Many people at Harvard, both students and faculty, think that a VES concentration means a major in arts and crafts--they simply don't take us seriously," Adrienne Booth '80, a VES concentrator, said.

David Lewis '80 voiced an opinion shared by many of those present at the meeting: "The administration thought they could create an arts major, put it in a fancy building and forget about it."

"They are willing to put the veneer on the department, but not the substance behind it," he added.

Many of the students complained about the use of the Carpenter Center, the building which houses the VES Department.

"This place is treated like a museum, not a working space. We have to clear out by 10 p.m. regardless of what we're working on," Lewis said