Med School Gets $500,000 Gift For Cerebral Palsy Research

By Alan Cooperman

The William Randolph Hearst Foundation has established a $500,000 endowment fund to support research on cerebral palsy and related diseases at the Medical School.

Dr. Daniel C. Tosteson, dean of the Medical School, will appoint a committee that will annually select one member of the school's faculty to receive the income from the fund.

Sciences

Tosteson officially accepted the gift at the United Cerebral Palsy Foundation's annual dinner in New York City December 14.

The Hearst Foundation, created in 1951 by newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst, has had an "on-going interest in research on children's diseases" and has given grants to Harvard researchers in the past, Robert M. Frehse, managing director of the foundation, said yesterday.

The foundation gave the endowment fund to Harvard in honor of the founders of the United Cerebral Palsy Foundation, Ethel and Jack Hausman and Isabel and Leonard H. Goldenson '27.

Dr. William Berenberg '36, professor of Pediatrics and chairman of the Cerebral Palsy Foundation's research committee, helped arrange the gift to Harvard. Berenberg said yesterday the Hearst Foundation currently supports research by two members of the Med School faculty, but this is the largest gift it has ever given to the University.

Richard J. Olendszki, associate dean for financial affairs at the Med School, said yesterday that the Med School has received grants of this size and larger in the past, but "we are very pleased with this obviously large sum."