Officials Name SPH Deputy

Kenneth P. Barclay, former associate vice president for resources at Tufts University, will serve as associate dean for administration at the School of Public Health (SPH).

Barclay will divide his time between fund raising and administrative duties within the school, Howard H. Hiatt, dean of the SPH, said yesterday. Increased involvement in community and environmental affairs require greater resources, and Barclay is "clearly the best man for the job," he added.

Barclay said yesterday he plans to assemble "solid" staff, adding he has already made several personnel changes in the areas of corporate and foundation fund raising.

"We will be getting back to the three 'p's': proper, prior planning," he said, adding, "We are not rushing into anything." He did not outline any specific programs or policy changes.

Although Barclay has never worked in the area of public health, Hiatt said the new associate dean's experience in university administration fits the requirements of the SPH post.

Barclay resigned from his position at Tufts in June. He said he left "for professional reasons," adding that he had "strong concerns about the direction the university was taking."

Two other prominent Tufts administrators, Katherine McCarthy, former senior vice president and provost, and John W. Sheetz, a former vice president responsible for fund raising, have resigned within the past year.

Barclay said he and his former co-workers resigned under "individual circumstances."

Lillian F. Blacker, public relations director for Harvard's medical schools, said yesterday Barclay actually began work for the SPH on July 1. Her office delayed the official announcement of the appointment until the Corporation named Barclay a member of the SPH faculty last week, she added.

Barclay graduated from Tufts in 1962 and earned a Masters in Business Administration from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. He has held a variety of administrative posts in private colleges and universities over the past 15 years