Mail to the Director's Chair

Last Word

JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER

A REFORM SYNACOCUE

252 SOUNDVIEW AVENUE

WHITE PLAINS, NEW YORK 10606

MAURICE DAVIS

RABBI Friday, September 28, 1979

Mr. Mark Director

c/o The Director's Chair

The Harvard Crimson

Harvard University

Cambridge, MA 02138

Dear Mark,

Is that the way you write to your Rabbi? A letter you never even bothered to mail! And you publish it, instead, in that Harvard paper for everyone to read. ("Everyone" is, I suppose, a slight exaggeration, but I'm trying to say something nice.)

You talk to me about football on Rosh Hashana. You say you can't understand why our New Year is in the fall. It's all right for Harvard to start school in the fall. It's all right for Harvard to begin its football season in the fall. So, why can't we have Rosh Hashana in the fall?

You want forgiveness because you are going to a football game. Is it really for me to forgive?

Then you ask help in making your predictions come true. What is such a big deal about predictions coming true? Maybe you will remember, Cassandra's predictions all came true. A lot of good that did.

If you detect an underlying annoyance, you are correct. Did you have to add that outrageous and ridiculous prediction that Brown would lose to Yale? Have you forgotten already that Brown is my Alma Mater.

You write me a letter asking forgiveness, indulgence, support and then you add that deliberate affront to me and my college. "Brown is a better team" you say, "But for the sake of variety, Yale in an upset 24-21."

For the sake of variety! And then you want favors? So, now let me tell you what is going to happen. I did not get your letter until after the games, but I'll tell you about this week, Saturday, September 29.

Your precious Harvard will lose to Mass. 20-7! And my precious Brown, even without Mark Whipple, will defeat R.I., let's say by a score of - well not less than 31-13.

You know I don't like to preach, Mark. But next time do it right.   Shana tova,   Maurice Davis, Rabbi

P.S. I'm delighted the Pope will be in Boston on Yom Kippur. Too bad he came too late to resurrect the Red Sox!