Bucs Win, Square Series

Sanguillen Drives Home Gamewinner

In 1971, Manny Sanguillen was the star catcher of Pittsburgh Pirates championship team. For most of 1979, he was a forgotten third catcher playing out the string. But the old veteran recaptured some of his lost glory last night, singling in Ed Ott with 2 out in the 9th to give Pittsburgh a 3-2 win over the Orioles in the second game of the World Series.

Pirate catcher Ott beat out an infield hit with two out to start the winning rally. He moved to 2nd when Phil Garner walked. Sanguillen then banged the game-winning and series-tying hit, while pinch-hitting for winning pitcher Don Robinson.

In the bottom of the 9th, sidearm relief ace Kent Tekulve saved the win, fanning Rick Dempsey and Kike Garcia and retiring Al Bumbry on an infield grounder.

For the second night in a row the Pirate relief corps held the Birds scoreless after starter Bert Blyleven departed for a pinch hitter in the 7th with the score tied 2-2.

The Orioles squandered several late inning opportunities to take the lead. In the 6th, the Pirates held the Birds to only one run when Dave Parker gunned down Eddie Murray trying to score on John Lowenstein's pop fly.

The Orioles stranded five runners in scoring postion last night, leaving the bases loaded in the seventh.

Out of the Frying Pan

In the 8th, Lowenstein rapped into a double play with Baltimore runners on first and second and no outs to end another Oriole threat.

"I chose Lowenstein to win me the ballgame," Baltimore manager Earl Weaver said after the ballgame, explaining why he didn't call for a sacrifice bunt in that situation. "I figured it was as good a shot as we were going to get all night."

Pittsburgh opened the scoring in the 2nd when Willie Stargell and Bill Madlock singled with none out. They crossed the plate on John Milner's RBI single and Ed Ott's sacrifice fly.

Murray drove in both Oriole runs with a solo homer in the 2nd and a run-scoring double in the 6th.