Local 300 Presents Contract Demands

Will Negotiate for Large Wage Hike

By Suzanne R. Spring

Harvard members of the Graphic Arts International Union (Local 300) last week presented the University with a list of contract demands, including a substantial wage increase, a built-in cost-of-living clause and a reduction in their work week.

The 25 members of the AFL-CIO affiliated union, who work as lithographers, pressmen and cold type compositors at the Harvard University Printing Office, will negotiate for the two-year contract next month. Their present contract expires November 14.

The union will demand a cost-of-living increase of more than 8 per cent, John A. Polimeno, secretary-treasurer of the union, said yesterday.

The union will also seek to obtain a built-in cost-of-living clause--a condition that other unions have unsuccessfully sought in the past.

Polimeno said the union will bargain to reduce its working week from 40 hours to 35 hours. All non-salaried Harvard employees now work 35 hours a week, a spokesman at the Harvard personel office said yesterday.

Local 300 is also demanding improved health and welfare benefits, Polimeno said. "We'd like the University to pay completely for our medical plan instead of for just a portion of it," he said.

The union will also ask Harvard to include dental coverage as part of the medical benefits package for the pressmen and other graphics workers.

Polimeno said the union will try to negotiate with Harvard for an additional week of vacation with pay as well and for one more floating holiday.

"It's too early to guess what's going to happen in the negotiations," Polimeno said. "We might not have any problems."

Powers declined to comment further except to say, "We don't like to negotiate through the newspapers." Members of Local 300 will meet again October 19 to discuss contract plans.

Edward W. Powers, associate general counsel for labor relations, said yesterday Diane Frazer, and attorney in his office would be handling the negotiations with Local 300, Frazer was unavailable for comment yesterday.