Students Won't Need Tickets For LSAT

The Educational Testing Service (ETS) will not require tickets at test sites for today's administration of the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), Robert Ginn, director of the Office of Career Services and Off Campus Learning (OCS-OCL), said yesterday.

ETS failed to supply the tickets to 250 of some 350 Harvard students registered to take the exam, Ginn said.

In what Ginn called "a tremendous mess and a real foul-up on the parts of ETS," many students nationwide never received the tickets listing the location of their test site guaranteeing them admission to the test.

Harvard students were not able to learn their status until early yesterday morning when OCS-OCL posted lists from ETS. All 250 students will be tested at the Harvard test site Ginn said, adding that they have all contacted his office.

According to Jenne Britell '63 an ETS spokesman in Princeton, N. Y., ETS is taking "extraordinary measures" to allow all students to take the test who possess the test.

This morning test supervisors will allow all students to take the test who posess admissions tickets; have their name and registration number listed on the test center roster; have received mailgrams, letters or telegrams from ETS they may use in lieu of admissions tickets; can give the supervisor their official registration numbers; or sign up in walk-in registration.

Extra operators are on duty in Princeton to answer a flood of phone calls from confused students, Britell said, adding that probably fewer than 1000, "a very small percentage" of those not sent tickets, will be unable to take the test this morning.

Ginn said the foul-up is "the worst thing I've ever seen. It's an absolute disaster." Students taking the test, Ginn said, were faced with the extra burden of anxiety from ETS's late and haphazard process. "It's a terrible inconvenience. I was really unhappy about it, but people will be able to get to the test," he added.

Ginn said many of admissions tickets were never even mailed and speculated that computer errors or the use of a new registration form may have caused the delay