Fogg Art Museum Receives Funding For Rising Costs

The Institute of Museum Services (IMS) recently awarded a $25,000 grant to the Fogg Art Museum which will be used to cover operational costs and to develop new sources of financial support, Peter L. Walsh, Fogg public relations officer, said yesterday.

The Fogg, which received the award last month, plans to use the funds to organize a group of corporate sponsors to meet rising operation costs, Suzanna J. Doeringer, deputy director of the Fogg said yesterday.

IMS chose the Fogg to receive the maximum museum grant because of the Fogg's "quality of services and exhibitions, and its accessibility to the public," Kate Sheppard, an IMS official said yesterday.

"As museums are getting more popular, the increasing costs are a burden that are killing our success," Doeringer said. Other sources of funding such as the National Endowment for the Arts donate money for specific projects, not operational costs, Sheppard said.

Seymour Slive, director of the Fogg, was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Recommended Articles

Fogg and Sackler To Be Renovated, Linked by Tunnel
Harvard is getting ready to build again. Harvard University Arts Museums Director James Cuno announced plans to renovate the Fogg
Kresge Grants $500,000 to Fogg Museum
The Kresge Foundation will grant $500,000 to the Fogg Art Museum, contingent upon the Fogg's success in raising the rest
Fogg May Ban Student Festivities In Museum
Several drunk students from Harvard Medical School (HMS) acted inappropriately at the Fogg Art Museum during the school's winter formal,
harvard
The Song of the Brush: Japanese Paintings from the Sanso Collection-- Fogg Art Museum, through Jan. 13 Japanese Prints: Surimono,
Corporation to Review Plans for Fogg
The Harvard Corporation will probably approve preliminary drawings for the new building of the Fogg Art Museum and authorize the
Collections And Critiques
One of the most interesting exhibits ever shown at the Fogg Museum will be opened to the public today. A