Pirates Shutout Orioles, 4-0 Carry Series to Game Seven

The Pittsburgh Pirates, aided by shoddy Baltimore defense, rode the shutout pitching of John Candelaria and Kent Tekulve last night to win a 4-0 win over the Orioles and 3-3 tie in the best-of-seven World Series.

Pirate starter and winner Candelaria fought off a sore back, a sore shoulder, and pulled rib cage muscles to inflict real pain on the Orioles. Helped by two double plays, he held the Birds, who got the leadoff man on base 4 times, in check for six strong innings.

The Savior

Side-arm relief ace Tekulve then came on to pitch three one-hit innings to earn his second save of the Series. He struck out four, including Doug DeCinces on three pitches with two out in the ninth.

Pittsburgh scored the only runs they needed in the seventh on three unimpressive hits and a sacrifice fly. Omar Moreno reached on a bloop single with one out. Then shortstop Kiko Garcia, thinking double play, missed Tim Foli's soft grounder in front of second--generously scored a hit.

Next Oriole second baseman Rich Dauer slipped and fell, allowing Parker's routine grounder, again ruled a hit, to pass unmolested to right field. Moreno scored on the play.

Captain

Willie Stargell's sacrifice fly to deep left knocked in Foli to make the score 2-0.

The Pirates added two runs in the 8th as the Orioles defense broke down again. After catcher Ed Ott singled with one out, Phil Garner stroked a line drive to left which outfielder Benny Ayala charged in an attempt to snare the ball. The ball, however, sailed over his head, leaving Pirate runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Bill Robinson followed with a short liner to left. Ayala caught this one, but heaved a pop fly somewhere to the right of home plate. permitting Ott to tag up and score.

Moreno then singled in Garner for the fourth and final run.

The Baltimore defense squandered a fine pitching performance by hardluck loser Jim Palmer, who held the Bucs scoreless on only four hits through the first six innings.

Garnering Laurels

Pirate 2nd baseman Phil Garner set a new Series record by taking part in his ninth double play and also led his team on offense by contributing a single and double. He is batting over.500 for the Series.

Oriole manager Earl Weaver will send out Scott MacGregor to start tonight's decisive game. Pirate manager Chuck Tanner will counter with either Bruce Kison (Series ERA 108,00) or Jim Bibby.