Elis Beat Yardlings, 7-3

After winning their first three games of the season, the freshman football team lost to Yale, 7-3, yesterday in Cambridge to end the season with a 3-3 record.

The contest was a defensive struggle played on a muddy field that limited the offenses of both teams. Harvard's veer offense, dependent on quick cuts by runners, was hurt by the field conditions. Quarterback Jim Stoeckel countered with his finest performance of the season, although many of his accurate throws were dropped by the Crimson receivers.

Boom Boom

The only score of the first half came in the first quarter for Harvard on a 32-yard field goal by Bruce Tetrick. Tetrick, who has provided much of the scoring for the Yardlings with his booming field goals and accurate placements, earlier attempted a 26-yard field goal that fell short.

Neither team was able to score in the third quarter, even though the Crimson defense, led by middle guard Bob Kristoff and linebacker John Floyd, supplied the offense with good field position.

The fourth quarter started with the Crimson ahead, 3-0, and it looked like the game would end with that score. The teams traded kicks until the four minute warning when the Bulldogs suddenly drove deep into Harvard territory.

With three minutes left on the clock, Yale halfback Bruce van Boeckel dove four yards over right guard for the score. Brian Clark converted to give Yale a 7-3 victory.