Sinatra, Martin Perform For Reagan

4200 Tap to 'I've Got You Under My Skin'

By Alexandra D. Korry

Ronald Reagan came to town with his friends last night. One-time Democrat Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin drew a capacity crowd to the former California governor's fundraiser at the Music Hall.

About 4200 predominantly middle class, white well wishers, who paid from $25 to $1000 for a seat, cheered as the show opened with Vegas-styled comedian Pat Henry.

But the well-dressed crowd was on its feet when Martin staggered on stage, drink in hand and smoking a cigarette, to strike up an off-beat, "Everybody Loves Somebody."

After joking with the audience, pretending to forget his lines and periodically stopping for a quick nip, Martin gave the floor over to the enthusiastic Sinatra.

With "The Lady's a Tramp," "Whiskey Time," and the old favorite, "I've Got You Under My Skin," the gray-haired Sinatra electrified the nostalgic crowd.

Sinatra and Martin said they support Reagan--who will announce his candidacy for president on November 13--at a press conference just before the show began.

While Reagan told the press the three were open to any questions, Sinatra piped in, "Except for Dean, don't ask him any questions," and Martin, red-eyed, proceeded to answer questions directed at the governor.

Reagan, flanked by his wife Nancy, the two singers, and Sinatra's wife, told the press he was in Massachusetts to campaign for the March primary, which he said he would win.

"I've Got You Under My Skin"

The former California governor said it will not matter to him which candidate the Democrats choose, since he is philosophically opposed to both.

Asked why he had deserted the Kennedy camp, Sinatra emphasized he was a John F. Kennedy '40 supporter. "I think JFK had the presence, knowledge and aptitude to make a good president. I don't think Ted has that."

At 8:30, the Emcee welcomed "the next president of the United States" to Massachusetts, and the show began. The restless crowd sat back to enjoy the entertainers, who each did a separate set, before combining for a 20-minute medley.

Martin rejoined Sinatra by rolling a portable bar on stage. The two entertainers poured themselves drinks as Sinatra told the audience, "We would have invited you to join us, but we didn't want to."

Drawing repeated applause and laughter, the two men threw a few political jabs at Reagan's opposition. "Where's Connally going to go when he loses the election?" Sinatra asked, reading a cue card. Martin sang back, "Deep in the Heart of Texas."

"What does Ted Kennedy do when he's alone at night," Sinatra continued. "Dream the Impossible Dream," Martin, half singing, half laughing, replied.

Closing the night off, Reagan stepped up to the podium and told the story of a conversation between a man and the Theodore Roosevelt statue in Washington, D.C.

According to the story, Reagan said Roosevelt was shocked that the U.S. had not sent troops to Mexico, Iran and Afghanistan and told the man, "Do you realize that if we had behaved that way at the turn of the century, we wouldn't own the Panama Canal today?