Hughes Recalls Life in Theater

By Maggie-meg Reed

Barnard Hughes, now starring in "Da" at the Colonial Theatre, spoke to an audience of about 80 in the Lowell JCR yesterday as part of the Learning from Performers series.

"I must admit I've been concerned about this talk," he said, adding. "But if I haven't been preparing myself for this over the last 45 years. I might as well forget about it."

Hughes, who has worked in the theater for 45 years, said he "stumbled into it. I was dared to go into the theater." He said when he was 19 he saw a production of "Hamlet" with two bad actors. He told a friend. "If I can't act better than those two. I'd better give up." The friend got a friend to hear Hughes read, and hired him to play a one-line role in Frank Lee Short's production of "The Taming of the Shrew."

"Everything just happened then," he said. "I never lacked for work. I hadn't made up my mind that it was going to be my career, but was a wonderful way to pass the time."

Hughes recalled that the actors were paid only about $25 a week for "Da". "But I didn't do it to make money, nor did anyone else that was in it. It was a marvelous play that we wanted to be seen in," he added.

"Da" ran two months at Hudson Guild Theatre, and then went to Broadway.

"I had no plans for the play. Of course, you always think wouldn't it be nice if, but I'd only signed myself for two months, and to play the part was all I wanted. What happened after that was all gravy," he said.

"Da" ran on Broadway with the original cast for 549 performances, before Hughes decided to take the show on tour--"New York isn't the only place where people want to see theater."

Hughes said he is enjoying the tour of "Da," and despite the long performance schedule, doesn't find it hard to keep the show fresh. "It's a play I have great affection for; it's done a great deal for me, and I'm not tired of it yet," he said.

Asked about acting homework. Hughes replied, "What the process is, I've never been able to pinpoint exactly. I guess you can talk about the craft, but the actual process is just doing it."

In first approaching a role, "you fling yourself at it," Hughes said. "I have a tendency at rehearsals to be willing to try anything, hoping it will lead me to something I find useful."

In conclusion, Hughes talked about the superstitious practices he follows every night before going onstage.

"I never go into the theater without finding a license plate with a number nine on it. And I pray. There are no atheists in foxholes, they used to say. Well, there are none in the wings, either.