Bruins Blank Icewomen, 3-0, Overshadowing Crimson Hustle

By Nancy F. Bauer

The skating was smooth, the passes precise, the offense aggressive and the defense tight. The only problem was that the puck didn't find its way into the Brown net Saturday afternoon at Bright Hockey Center, and the Bruins blanked the Crimson icewomen, 3-0.

Brown scored the gamewinner late in the first period and added an insurance goal in each of the next two stanzas, while a combination of missed scoring opportunities and hard luck prevented Harvard from hitting the mark.

"I thought the team really put out," co-captain Lauren Norton said after the game. "It's frustrating for us all because it's just not going between those two red posts."

Part of the frustration stemmed from the invisible solid wall that seemed to block the Bruin goal. Norton got off several impressive shots which brought an enthusiastic crowd to its feet and then left them sighing as the puck skirted past the net.

Freshman Alex Lightfoot also gave the audience a reason to stand with a typically strong performance. Lightfoot's third-period cross-checking penalty gave the Bruins a chance to pad their 2-0 lead with a power-play goal; but, as coach Rita Harder said later, "Alex gets penalties from being aggressive."

Unfortunately, Saturday's aggressiveness did not produce goals. It may have prevented some Brown tallies, though. Sophomore defenseman Julie Starr played another scrappy game, and freshman goalie Katie Williams came up with more than a few heart-stopping saves.

The first of the Brown attempts that did sneak past Williams came late in the first period when Bruin center Stephanie Sanders flicked a rebound into the net. Just 38 seconds into Act II, right wing Pam Boone capitalized on another rebound opportunity and then notched the third Brown goal at the end of period three on a quick wristshot.

Williams finished her third week as an ice hockey goalie with a fine performance, demonstrating the instinct she acquired as a field hockey netminder by warding off 45 Bruin at empts.