Letter Asks Aid to Cambodia

Eight Law Professors, Dean Write Carter, Urge New Initiatives, More Food Shipments

Nine Law School faculty members yesterday sent a letter to president Carter asking him to do everything possible to prevent the extinction of the Cambodian people.

The letter, written by Stephen B. Young, assistant dean of the Law School, commends Carter's decision to send aid to the Cambodians as a "a timely assertion of American leadership."

Young said yesterday he hopes the letter will "goad the Carter administration into taking the initiative with Cambodia."

A Little Push

Two of the professors who signed the petition, David F. Cavers, Fessenden Professor of Law Emeritus, and Vern Countryman, Royall Professor of Law, said they want the letter to encourage Carter, rather than challenging his actions.

All three said the letter's only impact is symbolic. Young added, however, that because the Carter administration pays a great deal of attention to its image, the letter may encourage Carter to take further action.

Young said Carter could help the Cambodians by organizing an international peacekeeping force or by imposing economic sanctions against the Soviet Union to pressure Vietnam indirectly.

Nguyen Ngoc Huy, research associate on Southeast Asian affairs at the Law School, also suggested that Carter pressure Vietnam not to use starvation as a weapon in its war against Cambodian rebels.

Countryman said the Vietnamese will continue to sabotage any American aid to Cambodia. He added that the Cambodian people--described in the letter as holding "a bitter cup of oppression"--deserve special attention because the "U.S. is primarily responsible for the mess."

Young agreed with Countryman, saying that as "the world's greatest humanitarian power," America has an obligation to fight the "moral horror" going on in Cambodia with both food and medicine.