Northeastern Shuts Out Crimson, 8-0, Scoring Six Goals in Third Period

Huskie Offense Humbles Harvard

By Nancy F. Bauer

When you're looking for your first win, you don't want to face off against a tough competitor--especially not Northeastern University, one of the most formidable women's hockey teams in New England.

But the Crimson icewomen had no choice last night. Although Harvard held the Huskies to only two goals for the first two periods, Northeastern exploded for six more in the final stanza to shut out the Crimson, 8-0.

Combining quick skating, skilled puck maneuvering and powerful slapshots, the Huskies demonstrated the brand of hockey that has made them annual tough competitors.

Huskie Power

Curbing the Huskie energy, the icewomen held a tight lease on Northeastern until the third period. Goaltender Katie Williams played her fourth ice hockey game ever with the finesse of an experienced player. Registering 35 saves for the game, Williams repelled slapshot after slapshot and made it look easy.

Both of Northeastern's early goals came at the end of period one. Huskie Diane Sorrenti notched the second tally of the evening on a power-play opportunity with only 13 seconds remaining in the period.

Scrappy, but...

Winger Sara Fischer played a scrappy game, but she failed to sneak the puck past the Northeastern netminder. Coach Rita Harder said after the game she thinks moving Fischer--a right-handed player--from left to right wing "made her feel a little more at home."

The Crimson played an impressive second period, holding Northeastern scoreless and matching the Huskies play for play. Co-captains Lauren Norton and Firkins Reed consistently skated the puck out of Harvard territory and the defense played tightly.

But at 1:31 into period three, Sorrenti made good on another power play chance, flicking a quick wristshot past Williams.

And it would have been nice if Sorrenti had decided to sit out the rest of the game. Northeastern pushed the puck past the goalline for the fourth time at 11:20, and a scant minute and a half later, Sorrenti had completed her bid for a hat trick and added one for extra measure, making it 6-0, Northeastern.

At 13:00 Huskie Kathy Williams put number seven in the Harvard net, scoring the fourth goal for Northeastern in a minute and 40 seconds. The Huskie scoring spree finally ended at 15:18, with the final score 8-0.

"We didn't try to pick up the man in the third period," Harder said, adding "we got puck happy."

NOTEBOOK: Last night's loss to Northeastern puts Harvard at 0-4.... The Crimson get their next shot for a win on January 9 when they go against Boston College at Bright.... Poor refereeing played a noticeable role in last night's game, with arbitrary tripping calls handed out during the second period and with blatant penalties ignored at other times.... A small but enthusiastic crowd cheered on the Crimson and is looking for new members....